Friday, October 1, 2010

Lubec, Coaldale

It has been five days since I finished walking, and now I am home in Colorado. Saturday night I camped in Lubec, looking out at a river and an island in the distance. Sunday I crossed a bridge, stood in the middle with one foot on either side of a thin line and put my hands on a metal plaque. On the other side of the river I walked to the border station, said a few words with the agent behind the window and simply turned around. By the river I stopped to light my cigar in quiet celebration and no more than two minutes later a man came down from the station and asked me to leave, said that I was in Canada illegally. So I crossed the bridge again, checked in with the U.S. border station and walked half a mile or so to a restaurant where I got some breakfast. By noon I had my thumb in the air.
I hitched rides back down to Portland, got there at six or so the next evening, and then bought a bus ticket. Yesterday I got to Denver, hugged my dad in the station and we drove home.

This is not where anything ends, I guess. Not where it ends but begins once again. I take up the reigns of a different horse, point it in a different direction, but the road goes on and on, unending. There is never a destination, there is only living with purpose.

I know that I'm only remembering to thank a few:

Abe - Miami
Doug - Pompano Beach
Oliver and Leanne - Flagler Beach
Paul - Daytona
Ryan - Bluffton
Anthony and Jerome - Yemassee
Allan and Silvana Clark
Jeremy and the mens fellowship of the Holly Pentacostal Church
The library staff in Raeford
Chris -Wise
The DeLauder Household + Andrew - Baltimore
T.J. Everett - Avondale
Jenny - Oxford
The Hilton Garden Inn and Applebees - Kennett Square
Jessica, Mother, and co - Darling/Media
Don and Carol, Kathy and Fran
The Wheelers - Berwick
James, Cindy, Kalie - Thomaston
Steve and Judith - Bah Habaah
Jimmy - Steuben
Everybody at Soles4Souls that organized and supported the trip. Such a wonderful cause to get to be a part of.
My parents, the beginning and end

2 comments:

  1. A big congratulations Dashiel
    We wish you the best in all things
    keep on writing and I hope you get to Maine again
    James,Cynthia and Kalie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, we could not be more proud. We know your path through life will cross many more hills and valleys, and you will conquer them all.

    ReplyDelete