Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Bar Harbor

I'm one hundred miles out, and riding on the tail end of my last planned stop - with my second cousin and his wife, Steve and Judith, at their home in Bar Harbor. Steve picked me up yesterday and I leave tomorrow, because I haven't allowed myself anymore time here, so close to the end. Today I saw got a great glimpse of Acadia National Park, and just finished a lobster dinner and wonderful evening with family that I'd never met. Morning reveals, truly, the final leg.

I walk because there is a coward inside me. He squirms at every corner, nags me when I have a tough choice to make; is the first part of me to squeal in pain, the last to get up and go in the morning, begrudgingly, and walk. He is the first to complain, the last to shut up and sing. If I let him he will take everything from me that is not nailed down, will suck like a Bissel at the edge of my dreams until they are cleaned up and tidy, logical and methodical and lifeless. If I let him he will squander away my soul. I walk because the coward must be fought, and driven out.

2 comments:

  1. Okay, Dashiel -is that part about the coward inside you a quote from a book or is that truly you? I think there is a coward inside everybody. At least I know I've got a healthy one.
    I will be so glad when you are home safe and sound (the coward, I guess), but I sure will miss reading a glimpse of your heart and mind every week. Your blogs are great and I look forward to the next book!
    Love Ya,
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear you've come so far.
    Best wishes,
    Tara

    ReplyDelete