Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Westport

I'm in Connecticut now, after crossing the border on Sunday and being treated to an all night rain storm. I woke up yesterday morning with a gallon of water in the bottom of my tent and my sign weighing twice as much as the day before. But out of the cold looks of New Jersey and the blank faces of New York I'm finding Connecticut to have a bigger portion of friendly strangers, waving me through.

I didn't leave the big city until Saturday, and it felt wonderful to have NYC crossed off the list. The day was full of sun, of blue sky, and finally the heat took a break, and a cool wind blew down on me from the north. I felt the water to the east, saw the seabirds turning in the air and squawking above me, noticed fall on the street corners, in the fluttering of oak leaves straining to break away, color rushing to their faces and veins throbbing and purple in their effort and I heard, on that cool breeze coming down the evening streets of Mount Vernon and New Rochelle, the whispering of Maine. Like a lover it calls to me, now, as I dance up the coast, telling me that I'm close, that it waits patiently for my step, my barefoot caress.

2 comments:

  1. Dash We are so excited that you are in N.E. and gettinfg closer to our home in Ma... please get in touch w/us by e-mail or our cell or get it from S4S Hope to meet up with you soon..LV Don and Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey man,

    I was on a bike yesterday in New London with a buddy of mine. Hope you found the walkway over the bridge alright! Good luck getting through the rest of Connecticut! I'm at the Coast Guard Academy, which is in New London, and I think I'm going to try to do a shoe collection for giveshoes.org

    Thanks for the inspiration!

    Cheers,
    Joe

    ReplyDelete