Wednesday, August 11, 2010

NYC

Last Monday, walking down the road still in Pennsylvania, a mother and daughter stopped to talk with me, and gave me a bag of goodies and drinks. Maybe an hour later Jessica, the daughter, came back with a van and three of her friends, and they picked me up and took me into dinner where they treated me to dinner at the Tom Jones. Afterwards we drove to two houses in the country, where I met four or five other friends and chilled out into the evening. They dropped me off at a little park back on route and I fell asleep feeling, for the first time in a while, actually, very lonely. If I were able to let myself get attached to a place, to forget about the trip and my schedule, I think I would have spent more time in Pennsylvania.
As it was, I walked into Philladelphia the next day, through and past it the next, and was at the New Jersey line by Friday night, sleeping next to the river and crossing into Trenton in the morning.
Yesterday I made it into the big city, and spent most of my day twisting around the streets of Chinatown. In the incredible hubbub of a hot Tuesday I managed to get myself lost in the crowds, and seemingly wasn't even noticed in a city that certainly sees its fair share of crazy people. The sensation was pleasant, especially after leaving New Jersey, where I felt that most pairs of eyes looked at my bare feet and sweat caked clothes as if I were someone that wasn't particularly welcome on their street.
But I'm well showered now, and am washing clothes as I write, and am sleeping tonight, as I did last night, well taken care of.
This morning I walked to an interview at Fox News.
http://video.foxnews.com/v/4308581/walking-barefoot-for-charity/

2 comments:

  1. Great Interview! How exciting!
    I figured your cogs were already turning for another adventure. You did an excellent job in the interview answering all those questions pronto squanto without hesitation. I'm proud of you.
    Love ya,
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete