Saturday, May 29, 2010

Titusville

I think I'm getting used to the heat somewhat, and I've been making good time the last few days. It helps that I've walking fairly close to the inner coast, now, as well, so that when I want to I can jot over to cool my feet for a while in the middle of the day, and the breeze that comes in off of the water keeps me reasonably cool as well. I've only slept on the beach once so far, and actually felt chilled at night for the first time since leaving home.
My feet are doing pretty well, finally starting to heal up nicely from their blisterings. I cut one of my toes on a piece of glass two days ago and had to wrap it up, but it's feeling good now.
Was sleeping in the grass, in some shade under a big tree under a cloudless afternoon, maybe four days ago, and woke up to find a sprite and some walnut fudge in the shade of the tree next door, a little ways away from my feet. I looked around, of course, for the party who'd left them, but found the roadway empty as far as I could see. So I reveled some in the aura of my unexpected treat, scanning each passing car thereafter for some sort of sign. I pictured, though I realized it probably wouldn't be the case, that whoever it was might come past again for another look, to see their gift being enjoyed, and what a wonderful feeling it was to gaze in the window of every passing car and wonder if that face was of the secret santa. Each stranger had the potential, then, to be an unknown friend and small protector. More than just a sweet snack I was given the anonymous gift of feeling watched over by an unseen eye, and indeed I felt the physical lethargy of being cared for, as if my head was being given a tingling, electric massage by a godly hand. Do you ever feel that, when someone cares for you? So impossibly content that your brain feels numb from it, that you keep your limbs deadly still for fear of breaking the invisible, humming, stroking, bond? The first time I remember feeling the wave of it I was in first grade, sitting on the couch by the bookshelf next to Niki Witzel and she was reading aloud. I've felt it on and off over the years, and have never been able to characterize it, in the same way that I'm failing now to do so. If you've felt it, I suppose, then maybe you know what I'm saying, and if you haven't, then there isn't much I can do to describe it better. The science is probably that my brain is releasing some chemicals in a certain way or another, and though I've never been spiritual enough to give another view my trust, I still like to picture, when I feel such, that I'm feeling the caress of something more mysterious than chemicals. I watched the faces in the passing cars, then, for something more like the face of an angel, watching back. Does that seem silly, to use the 'a' word after a small incident involving Sprite and fudge?
I don't know what I feel, I guess. But certainly the road reminds me to be careful in my cynicism, to be accessible to change and open to wonder.
Anyway, sometimes a gift is more than a gift.

5 comments:

  1. Hi, Dashiel:

    Every day this week I kept meaning to leave you a comment but kept putting it off till later in the day and suddenly a week had passed.

    Last Sunday, I decided to look at your blog from your first cross country walk two years ago to see where you were on that date. Purely by coincidence, it was the posting that was my favorite one of all of them.

    You had walked 30 miles the previous day from Maupin to Antelope, OR, and then ended up walking 35 miles on that day to Fossil. Your description of how it started snowing on you late in the evening and then being stalked by a set of burning orange eyes 50 yds or so above you in cougar country, was downright riveting. I hope you don't have any similar experiences on this trek.

    Just checking the map and it looks like you're about 3/5 of the way up the Florida coast. It looks like Florida may be your longest state to cross.

    Good luck, stay safe, and keep dry when you can!

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dashiel, I know exactly the feeling you are talking about. I have felt it many times over the years, starting at a very young age. Sometimes, it can be triggered by something as simple as a very helpful clerk in a department store, and other times by something more meaningful, like a person stopping on the road to give you a hand when you're broken down. It really doesn't matter where it comes from, but it is so wonderful when it happens that you don't want to do anything to disturb that feeling. I tried to describe this experience to a few people many years ago and they looked at me like I was crazy, so I stopped talking about it. I thought that maybe I was the only one.
    As you said, it is almost impossible to explain, but it is such a feeling of warmth and well being that you might imagine you are back in the womb and everything you ever needed or wanted is being provided for right there. I do believe it is some secretion from the brain that is triggered by a feeling of being cared for, but I'm no scientist. I'm not a big believer in mind altering substances, but if I could buy a drug that would give me that feeling on demand, I'd be the first customer in line. Just so you know that you're not the only one. At least there are two of us. bka

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dash:
    Looking forward to meeting you when we meet with you in the big blue Soles4Souls RV! Can you please call or email me? I need to ask you to help with a shoe distribution. Thanks,
    Silvana 615 429 4968 silvanac@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. "open to wonder" is how everyone should live. and anything small, such as sprite and walnut fudge, that can remind you of that, is cherished gift. i know the feeling you mean, it has been awhile for me. but even the hope of feeling it again is a great thing. i love reading your words, highly inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dashiel,
    I saw your dad at Safeway yesterday and he told me about your new blog. I finally had a few minutes to sit down and read some of your entries and found this one truly enjoyable. It reminded me of a feeling I had once when I received a gift that was once given to me when I was teaching. Someone made me a cake - from scratch. The best part about that feeling that you get when someone gives you something that is so organic and pure is that you can feel it again and again every time you think of that person, or that moment. Thanks, Dashiel - you are always a happy memory:)

    ReplyDelete