Saturday, May 15, 2010

Day One, South Miami

There is something about walking - I don't know what it is - that has drawn me back. For a long time I've felt the itch in my skin, heard the quiet taunt of an open map or the nagging whisper of a backpack in a store window. And now finally I'm here, on the road again.
Yesterday I flew from Colorado to Fort Lauderdale and was picked up by an awesome guy named Abe, who took me out to dinner and then drove to Homestead, essentially the southernmost town in Florida. I walked five or six miles last night, and slept behind a tire store. The plan is this: I'm going to walk pretty much straight up the coast all the way to Lubek, Maine, and touch the Canadian border. I'm by myself right now, but in a little less than three weeks my best friend, Timothy Fleming, will be flying out himself and joining me. And once again I'm walking in collaboration with Soles4Souls (see left).
Today I've walked into South Miami, and though my feet are already blistering I'm happy to be here, happy to finally be doing what I've been planning for what seems like a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment