Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Baltimore

I made it into the D.C. area on Friday, carrying a new sign that I picked up two days before. It's a big dry erase board, and I've made it say different things on and off but mostly it says 'GIVE SHOES.ORG,' and it's given me a new way of connecting with the cars that drive by all day. I had thought about getting a sign before but had always thought that it would be too much of a hassle, but now that I have one I'm enjoying it quite a bit.
Saturday I was supposed to meet up with Sondra Clark, Allan and Silvana's daughter and a S4S spokesperson, but I woke up feeling woosy and a little dizzy, and before I got to downtown I threw up next to the road, so I turned around and went back to my room. By evening I felt a little better, and Sunday morning seemed to have gotten over whatever it was, and I walked through most of the day.
I had been in contact for a few days with Rachel, a friend from college in Durango who lives in Baltimore, and as the timing would have it another friend from Durango, Cherie, had flown out to visit Rachel earlier in the eek. Sunday night they drove down and picked me up, and since then I've been staying here in Baltimore, finishing off a great few days of leisure and respite and meeting a lot of people. Yesterday we drove to Cunningham Falls State Park, and climbed up a waterfall and swam in the nearby lake. Today we went to the Baltimore Zoo and got a tour of the city and the bay.
Probably I'll be walking again tomorrow, and as always it will be hard to leave friends and a bed and roof behind.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Dashiel!

    I'm so glad you got to hang out with friends. I thought you sounded funny on the phone the other day. I must have talked to you just before you got sick.

    And here is my motherly voice: "Be sure and eat nourishing food every chance you get! Your body needs more than poptarts and hostess yuck cakes to function effectively through the toil you're putting it through."

    Love Ya,
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Passed you on Route 1 in MD yesterday and again today in PA. Saw your sign and looked you up. Good luck on your adventure. Looks like a great cause.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete